- Vacancy: PHD POSITION “TENSORS FOR SYSTEM IDENTIFICATION” AT ELEC, VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT BRUSSEL (VUB)
The main research activity of the department ELEC-VUB is the development of data driven modelling techniques, using advanced signal processing and system identification methods on experimental data. This workshop aims at disseminating the developed methods, and at promoting the collaboration with stakeholders, both in academics and industry.
As a participant, you will have the opportunity to
- learn frequency domain system identification tools from experts in the field,
- have hands-on experience with system identification tools on problems that are relevant for your research/application,
- network with colleague researchers and set up long-lasting scientific collaborations and friendships.
The workshop will be 4 weeks long, from May 29 to June 23, 2017.
- During the first 2 weeks, lectures will be taught, accompanied by hands-on exercises, for the participants to get acquainted with the available tools and techniques in system identification, see "courses lectured".
- During the last 2 weeks, the participants will have the opportunity to collaborate on an individual project with ELEC researchers, see below.
The workshop will take place at the ELEC department (6th floor of building K on the campus of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium).
- Registration opens: December, 2016
- Deadline registration: February 15, 2017
- Notification of acceptance: March 10, 2017
- Workshop: May 29 - June 23, 2017
During the 2 weeks after the lectures and exercises, the participants and ELEC researchers will have the opportunity to collaborate closely on individual projects. The main lines of the content of these projects will be defined before the start of the lectures, and will be based
- on the participant's research topic and interests, and
- on the availability of ELEC researchers to work on the suggested topic.
At the time of the application, prospective participants are requested to formulate a proposition of a project, to be included in the document 'Motivation letter for participation' during the registration. Ideally, this project should be put in relationship with (or in the context of) one of the broad research topics, or one of the specific research projects at ELEC.
Projects dealing with fundamental aspects of system identification are welcome. However, we also highly encourage the submission of projects on multi-disciplinary engineering applications, where system identification can be considered as a tool to achieve a particular goal which is relevant for the application. Think for instance of constructing models from measurements to obtain physical insights into a system, for characterisation purposes or to construct a robust controller.
The goal of this individual project is to be a starting point and a springboard for future collaborations between the participants and ELEC researchers.
Application and selection procedure
Participants will be selected by the ELEC staff, on the basis of the application form and their motivation letter. Please note that, to ensure a high quality of the supervision/collaboration during the exercises and the individual project, the number of participants will be limited.
For academic participants, of which the individual projects have been selected, there will be no tuition fee to attend the workshop. For academic participants that do not come with an individual project, it will be possible to attend the lectures and exercises (first 2 weeks of the workshop) for a tuition fee of 200 EUR.
The accommodation can be arranged by the organisers, and will be charged to the participants. Lunches will be available at student prices in the restaurant of the VUB.
Industrial participants are welcome to attend the workshop, at a tuition fee of 1000 EUR per week.
Participants should make sure that they have a valid health/travel insurance and that they satisfy all the VISA requirements.
If you have any question about the workshop, please contact workshopsysid [at] vubirelec.be.