- Seminar: BLIND AND OFF-GRID ACOUSTIC ECHOES RETRIEVAL USING MULTICHANNEL ANNIHILATING FILTERS
In collaboration with Anotec (Belgium company specialised in cathodic protection of industrial installations)
Cathodic protection is a technique to control the corrosion of a metal surface by making it the cathode of an electrochemical cell. This requires that the metal surface that needs to be protect (= the cathode) must be kept onto a well-defined potential compared to a reference electrode to prevent corrosion. Potentials that are too high or too low, or equivalently excessive currents, will therefore lead to corrosion and should be detected as soon as possible.
The aim of this thesis is to develop a IoT device which measures and communicates the status of the cathodic protection system using a LoRa based communication networks. This includes
- the understanding of the operation / requirements for cathodic protection,
- the hardware design of a microcontroller-based IoT device, including potential challenges
- accurate measurement of potentials and currents,
- position and motion detection of the sensor,
- low power / low duty-cycle operation.