- Seminar: BLIND AND OFF-GRID ACOUSTIC ECHOES RETRIEVAL USING MULTICHANNEL ANNIHILATING FILTERS
5G communication will be the next generation wireless telecommunication standard. The demands of the users imply that tough and opposing design decision need to be made such as power efficient implementations, supporting both high bit rate on a short range and low bit rate at a long range, low latency, and be robust to multipath and doppler effects in mobile channels.
These constraints can only be fulfilled when a lot of state-of-the art techniques are combined
- power efficient power amplifiers (a very power consuming block),
- the choice of the appropriate modulation scheme to be robust multipath and Doppler effects for mobile applications,
- the measurement, characterization and compensation of the time-varying wireless channel, (including the multipath and the Doppler effect),
- the use of an efficient channel coding scheme to get closer to the channel capacity, and
- a flexible hardware realization to easily switch from one standard to another.
Based on these 5 observations, 5Great Master theses are defined. All of them are working around one central topic (5G communication):
- A. Studying, designing, realization, and measurement of power efficient RF power amplifiers,
- B. Studying and implementing the Orthogonal Time Frequency Space (OTFS) modulation,
- C. Measurement, characterization and compensation of time-varying wireless channels,
- D. Study and implementation of efficient channel coding scheme with low latency,
- E. Implementing a MIMO hardware realization using Universal Software Defined Radio (USRP).
Although these 5Great Master theses’ topics can be studied separately (= in individual/independent master theses), they can also be grouped in a single overall project. The latter will give the students the opportunity to work in a team. Furthermore, the topics are selected such that if one sub-project fails, the other parts (=theses) are not affected and an individual evaluation (= points on each thesis individually) is still feasible.